Austro-Hungarian Kropatschek Rifle M1893
Conversion made by Österreichische Waffenfabriks-Gesellschaft, Steyr, 1881-83
Turning bolt action, locked by the bolt rib abutting the receiver ahead of the bridge
On October 28, 1893 a Kropatschek rifle was adopted by the Imperial Navy for issue to the crews of torpedo boats. The guns were converted from the trial rifles issued in the early 1880s, which had been in storage for many years. The principal change was a new barrel and chambering the 8x50mm rimmed rifle cartridge.
Surviving M1893 rifles were replaced by Mannlichers after 1900. The Kropatschek action was only marginally strong enough to withstand the pressures generated by smokeless cartridges.